Monday, October 3, 2011

making balanchine proud

10/3/11

Wobbling around on my ankle after a bunch of days on concrete.  The surgery is beginning to look like the only option. And now, out of left field, I have plantar fasciitis in the other heel to make me whine even more. Enough.

So Clare will be in the Nutcracker.  Cast B.  She is in the party scene and is an angel (doh!).  Rehearsals started yesterday.  She will be in twenty four performances.  This is gonna be kooky.  Lots of logistics and the need for bombproof buns.

I have been going to the Nutcracker every year for as long as I can remember.  The ballet has  pirouetted weirdly through my life.  Balanchine lived at 27 w 67 for many years up until he died.  When the elevator men went on strike, he took his turn driving the elevator and sorting the mail. Patricia McBride and Jean Pierre-Bonfous lived there as well.  My parents were friends with them all and we saw them socially from time to time.  Pretty cool when your neighbor is pinching your cheek one day, and the next you are watching her rock the Sugar Plum Fairy role.

My first elementary school crush was Clara in the NYCB Nutcracker and was featured in a

book.  I later took her to our senior prom.  Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment