Thursday, December 16, 2010

4 months on the road

Dec 15, 2010
LAST NIGHT IN PRAGUE

athens in august.  Prague in december.  the wheel is turning.  Sweating bullets to dumping snowflakes.  Today brought about 7 inches of snow to the land of gambrinus.  went to the soviet embassy and had the rap.  Went to the museum of musical instruments for a spin on the yellow submarine.  Ben and clare had a play date with Amalka at Princa Nez.  I interviewed with acs via skype.  Tomorrow it seems that we are getting on a train to head for Geneva to hang out with Enzo and his family.  When in doubt, point em downhill and let em run.

parting shot: so in prague there are a lot of sixty three year old women working in museums as security guard/coat check/special agent types.  They sneak around silently in rubber soled shoes.  If they feel that you are missing some important aspect of the exhibit, not focusing or not paying enough attention, they grab you by the hand, bring you directly to where you should be, and give you a serious talking to in czech.  You do not want to stroll past the inlayed 15th century contrabass without taking appropriate note.

2 comments:

  1. The King of Beer is not Bud. It is King Gambrius though I know a few Femish monks say they are responsible, or so all the legends go. Given the chance to go to a boisterous working-class pub with good ale, I'll choose it above all other endeavors. I also favor famous pubs. I had ale at Browns where my Dylan Thomas drank. Joan and Larry had to remove me from one of my many Turf Tavern visits as I was trying to channel C.S. Lewis and Tolkein. The White Horse my last wonderful Whitbread, and McSorley's when I should have been on Water St. and . . . Sad to say there are so so few real pubs. Enough of me.

    Hope the Skyping went well. Keep us posted.

    Those ladies are in Moscow at the Pushkin Museum too. "Hey, you! You goofy American, you gotta see this." These ladies are in Ericson's new 8th stage of Human Development called Free to be Me, or is that Marlo Thomas' new book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Who wasn't paying enough attention to the "15th century contrabass"?

    ReplyDelete