Tuesday, December 7, 2010

when in doubt...soup!

Dec. 7, 2010
last night in pest

How about those Tokat door pictures?  Blog readers need to encourage the Swampert artiste in residence to keep it up.

Usually I am not too much of a soup guy.  I like tomato soup, matzoh ball soup, lobster bisque and it pretty much ends there.  For some reason I have been in a soup feeding frenzy through Romania, Hungary, and Austria.  When in doubt,  I just order soup.  Most of the time i do not even know what I am eating.  I have not had one bad bowl.  In fact they have all been great.

We cleaned up a massive administrative detail today.  Quality time at the post office finally sending home the warm weather gear, accumulated detrius and holiday gifts.  Frowns in post offices in December are pretty much universal.

Then made it to the second biggest synagogue in the world.  Beautiful building with an echoing spiritual vibe.  Over 2000 Hungarian Jews who were murdered in the Budapest ghetto are buried on the grounds.  Always interesting to hear the twins' questions and commentaries on the Holocaust.  Ben on a possible option if the German blitzkrieg came to New York: "I think we should probably leave and drive to Montana."

A final trip to the Christmas market and a final glass of Tokay as we prep for tomorrow night's overnight train ride to Praha.

1 comment:

  1. Greatsynagogue.hu gives a good sense of size and design. The interior pictures from the site give a sense of its grandeur and the spiritual memorial of the atrocity. My dad would have been moved. His only requirement of me when I visited Europe was to visit Dachau. I was 17 y.o.and basically I had no idea. That experience changed my life forever and that he what he intended. He must have been a visual learner.

    Soups are way underrated. Been cooking along those lines recently.

    ReplyDelete